Friday, November 18, 2016

Journey Through The Classics: A Wrinkle in Time

Lovely readers,

I hope you have all had a wonderful week, and an even better weekend! I'm excited to finally be bringing you the first installment of my "classics" collection. The first book I'll be reviewing for this series is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (1963). This book, as some of you may know, is such a wonderful adventure that I couldn't have excluded it if I wanted. So, let's get started!

First Impressions:

  • My first impression of the book was it's size. Being an avid reader myself, I wasn't really concerned with taking a long time to finish this story. The book is very short compared to others I've done on this blog, but it was a journey nonetheless. 
  • As I started diving in, I noted that the language used in this book is a bit odd to the modern ear. There are phrases and certain words that can kind of throw the reader off, especially if they aren't used to Madeleine L'Engle's style of writing. Be wary of this. 
  • Honestly, this book really sucked me in within the first few pages. I'll get to why in a little bit, but just know that this was one of those stories that was hard to put down. 
Plot: 
  • A Wrinkle in Time begins in what I assume is The United Kingdom. The book is centered around a family, and a rather large one. The main characters is a young girl named Meg Murry. Meg's family consists of her mother, father, the twins Sandy and Dennys, and her younger brother Charles Wallace (thought to be a child genius; his dialog is extremely interesting for a young boy of only 5). It is introduced to us in the beginning of the novel that Mr. Murry has been missing for some time, off experimenting with new technology (both Meg's parents are scientists). The book picks up with Meg struggling to deal with the questions about her father, and having problems at school. 
  • The story takes you for a ride really after this, as there isn't much exposition before the meat of the tale comes to light. Not long after you're given a glimpse into Meg's life, you're introduced to three more important characters: Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit, and Mrs. Which. This is where Madeleine L'Engle takes the story and runs with it. You discover the real reason behind Mr. Murry's absence and how the three "witches" are going to help bring him back. 
  • You are thrown into a universe with so many amazing characters that I am in no way surprised that this book evolved into a series.  I won't say any more about the plot, but if you enjoy mysterious adventures, you'll love this book. 
This book is a short one, and that prevents me from revealing too much. And I was skeptical, considering this is a young adult novel. But I was pleasantly surprised! This book took me on a journey and I can only hope it takes you on one too. 

More soon, and keep reading! 
Love, 
K.

No comments:

Post a Comment