Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Book Review - Divergent

Hello readers,

I just finished the next book on my reading list: Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011, YA/Science Fiction).

I was actually presently surprised at how I felt about the book from beginning to end.

Before I started this book, I knew absolutely nothing about the plot of Divergent or the rest of the series. I hadn't read any of the book or seen the movie so I got to have an objective look on the story. I have to say I was not disappointed.
This book combines a YA feel with a darker, more sinister undertone. I've arranged a pros and cons list below to help skeptical readers decide if Divergent should be next on your list!

Pros:

  • Very interesting plot. Characters are well developed and the sequencing/flow of events really catches your attention. I think that the first person POV makes it even easier to get sucked into. 
  • A beginner's level of literature. Very easy to read (especially if you're older, like me) but doesn't dumb anything down. 
  • Doesn't give too much away in the end; lets the reader have an imagination. 
  • Very relatable characters. 
Cons:
  • If you're a fan of complex writing, this book probably wouldn't entertain you as much. It's not a complicated read, but very emotionally pulling. 
  • The length of the book can be annoying, purely because of the simplicity of the writing it can appear to drone on for a while if read during a binge. 
  • As you probably already know, Divergent is the first book in a series. So the ending to this book doesn't really wrap everything up (as expected) and it can be tedious if you're into short, sweet, to the point endings. 
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I'd recommend it as a leisurely read/ something to read for fun on the weekends. If you're a long time reader like me, a book like this doesn't take long to breeze through. 

Until next time, keep reading lovelies! 
Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment