Sunday, March 20, 2016

Book Review - The Kite Runner



So about a week ago I finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (2003, Historical Drama) and I'm very much entranced by his work. (I highly recommend you read A Thousand Splendid Suns if you haven't already)

This book is set in the Middle East from ~1980-2000's. It follows the life of a young boy living in Kabul, Afghanistan. This story is heartbreakingly sad, but beautifully written. It really tugs at your heart strings and gives a cold insight into the lives of people living in the rebellion.




Pros:

  • Like I said above, this book is extremely beautiful. Hosseini's style touches something inside the human soul, I think. The way the characters are portrayed connects you with them intensely. I felt automatically sympathetic towards the main character Amir, like I knew him in some other life or perhaps I saw bits of myself in him. There is a lot of raw emotion in this book, and it's very relatable. 
  • This may be considered a con by some. This book is the perfect example of a story not needing a completely happy ending to work. The Kite Runner has more of a bittersweet end than what you'd expect half way through the book. It doesn't end in tragedy and there is a sign of hope in the end, but it doesn't have a fairytale vibe to it. (I'm fairly certain that this novel was loosely based on Hosseini's personal experiences) 
  • I usually always include something about the length of the book. The Kite Runner is not a long book, but it is striking. The language isn't complicated and is actually quite simple at parts, but there are several instances of Farsi/Pashto being used in the book so sometimes it can be difficult. 

Cons:

  • The particular time period that this book is set in was notorious violent. There are a few times where the book takes dark turns. Even though it doesn't really hurt the plot, I wouldn't recommend it for YA readers (although in some places it is classified as such). 
  • If you are unfamiliar with the language or just simply not the best at context clues, the blending of cultures/languages can be a struggle. There is a lot of Pashto/Farsi being used so if you don't stick to the clues, it can be a bit confusing. 
Overall this book is terribly entertaining. It's sickening but beautiful all at once. If you have a stomach for this type of novel, I'd highly recommend you pursue it. 

Until next time, keep reading lovelies! 
Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment