Saturday, August 27, 2016

Book Review: Salem's Lot

Lovely readers,

Hello again! I hope you all are having a wonderful Monday. I know I am! Also I'm very excited to have changed the layouts of these reviews, it makes everything so much easier. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

This time I'm very happy to present 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King (1975). I'm on a quest to complete the entire works of King and I thought this was a good place to continue. 'Salem's Lot is King's second novel, set again in a quaint town in Maine in the 70's. The story follows a man named Ben Mears who travels back to his boyhood home of Jerusalem's Lot to attempt to finish his next novel, written around an old legend of the haunted Marsten House. This novel draws from the old-era horror stories: witches, darkness, vampires, haunted houses. I will include my breakdown below!

First Impressions:

  • I went into this book hoping for a truly scary experience, and I wasn't disappointed. I haven't had a read a book with the lights on since The Shining. 
  • My biggest surprise I experienced when starting this book was the talent. I was blown away when I discovered that this is only King's second novel. Again, his language and the way he produces his thoughts onto paper... it has the skill of a life-long writer. This story really swept me away. 
  • After the first couple of chapters, I started to notice the little roots of The Dark Tower snaking throughout the pages of 'Salem's Lot. I will always stress how much more you find out after reading The Dark Tower. King knows how to bury the easter eggs. 
Plot: 
  • 'Salem's Lot begins with Ben Mears, traveling into Maine. He is going back to his boyhood home to try and gain some inspiration for his newest novel. You find out quite early that his novel is based on the town's local legend: the haunted house on the hill, the Marsten House. The legend surrounding this house is one that the town is built upon. 
  • While Ben's storyline continues, he meets Susan (a young women living in Jerusalem's Lot). They begin something of a fling. During this time, many strange things start happening in the town. People are being murdered, children disappearing from their homes, and a strange man comes in from out of town to purchase the Marsten House. This strikes Ben as odd, but as far as the middle of the book, they find no connection between Straker (the mysterious stranger) and the disappearances. 
  • It is not until over half way through the book that the reader discovers the origin of Straker and his partner Barlow: they are vampires. 
  • More and more people start disappearing, including children and Mears' female friend Susan Norton. Ben teams up with some townspeople and they band together to fight the vampires in the Lot. Among the team is Ben, Jimmy Cody (the town's doctors), Matt (teacher), Father Donald Callahan, and a young boy named Mark Petrie. They begin gathering folk lore about vampires and set out to collect things like wooden stakes, garlic, white roses, and holy water. 
  • Eventually, the group thins out thanks to Barlow. Matt dies from natural causes, Jimmy is taken into the cellar of the Marsten House, Susan is infected, Father Callahan is marked and leaves the Lot. Ben and Mark end up being on their own as they travel into the cellar of Eva Miller's boarding house (the same house that Ben rented a room at in the beginning) and find Barlow's coffin below. 
  • The ending of the book comes rather swift: Ben and Mark drive a stake through the heart of Barlow while he is resting in the coffin. They discover that the entire town has been taken over by these creatures, and it completely silent during the daylight hours. However, at night, the two are traveling out of the Lot and see huge groups of them... wandering aimlessly around the streets. Ben eventually travels back to the Lot without Mark later on (he leaves him somewhere safe, as he has no parents anymore) and sees that everything has closed. The vampire have taken over the small town permanently. Ben never finishes his book.
Opinon: 
  • I now understand why this book is considered a pivotal work on vampires. The detail that went in to describing them and finding the folklore is impressive. 
  • This book was a rollercoaster. There were many times I was impressed with the "community" motif. Ben, Jimmy, Mark, Matt, and Don all band together in the face of horror and death. They create a bond that can't be broken by vampires. Not in the Lot. 
  • However sad and heart-wrenching 'Salem's Lot is, it is also one of my new favorite horror books. The ending will have the hair on the back of your neck standing up no problem. I suggest enjoying this tale with the lights on. 
Overall, a wonderful edition to King's horror collection. It's so hard for me to believe that this is only his second book, but then again how can I be surprised? King truly is the modern world's greatest horror/science fiction writer. Can't wait to dive into more of his books. 
Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed this review. 

More to come! 
Stay smart, keep reading, 
Love, 

K. 

No comments:

Post a Comment