Thursday, July 21, 2016

Book Review: Wind Through the Keyhole (Dark Tower)

Lovely readers,

I wasn't going to include Wind Through the Keyhole (2012) in my DT series, but I honestly couldn't stop thinking about it this past week so I decided to go ahead and write it.
Incase you're unaware, this particular book is kind of like a random tangent in the Dark Tower world. It is a fantasy tale, a bedtime story if you will. Actually set between two books, Wind Through the Keyhole is like looking through a keyhole into Roland's culture. So, as always, I'll include and pros/cons list below. Thanks for reading!

Pros:

  • I very much enjoyed taking a break from the main DT story line to read this book. I'd equate it to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and other branches of the Harry Potter universe: Wind Through the Keyhole gives us a glimpse into Roland's life, showing what he heard for fairytales when he was young. That's probably my favorite aspect of this book, it brings you closer to the protagonist. 
  • The actual story behind contained in this book is actually really interesting. It always reminded me of the Sword and the Sorceress series because of it very fantasy-based plot. Dragons, never ending forests... these make this story very fun. And, like all good bedtime stories, there is a central theme (moral) however it isn't incredibly clear what that is. It's in a way left to the reader. 
  • Obviously I have to include how well Wind Through the Keyhole showcases Stephen King's story abilities. Not only did he make a beautifully haunting story, he also dropped a bit of fantasy into a science-fiction story. This took a lot of talent and worked out perfectly. (That's what I enjoy most about the DT universe: past and present are one. The gunslinger was born before time but ends up running with a boy from the 80's, a former drug addict, and a woman from the 60's. It just blows my mind how much all the world bleed together.) 
Cons: 
  • Something to preface this con: when I began this book, it was because I still didn't have the next chronological DT book. This was kind of a break/detour in the plot. That being said, the inner speed reader in me what a little bored with Wind Through the Keyhole. Despite being wonderfully written, this book wasn't canonical at all. It didn't have anything to do with the present, with the time you should read it. It just kind of gave us a good chunk of fairy tale (which is fine) but I did get a little antsy, thinking the book would bridge the gap a little. 
  • All other things aside, the tale told in this book can be a little morbid. Basically the story revolves around a young man who loses his father. His father's job was to go into the woods surrounding the area and chop down trees. However the woods, according to legend, are haunted by a dragon. Well the boy's father dies and the story just progresses from there (no spoilers, don't worry). But it can be a bit sad what happens to the boy. You'll have to see for yourself. 
This review was particularly short and for that I'm sorry. Wind Through the Keyhole wasn't a necessary part of the DT story for me, just a bit of a break from the seriousness of the ka-tet's travels. And in that regard it soared and did very well. However the book was out of the storyline and didn't really change the overall story at all. But it was enjoyable. So, that's the tradeoff and I believe it was worth it. Thanks for reading! 

As always, with love and knowledge, 

Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment