Sunday, July 3, 2016

Book Review: Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower VI)

** Warning: This is a review series for The Dark Tower and contains spoilers about the series. Please do not continue if you do not want the plot/surprises undone for you. Can't say I didn't warn you, thanks! ** 


Lovely readers,

Despite being thoroughly behind on my reviews, today I'm very excited to be writing about Song of Susannah, the next book in The Dark Tower series! This book took me for the go-around, and there were a few points that fear got the better of me, but overall it was definitely another Stephen King adventure. Enjoy!

Pros:

  • I don't think that this series would hold up without it's sixth book. That's how much I believe the readers learns after finishing Song of Susannah. Not only do you get the backstory of Mia and all that includes her, you also get information about the Dark Tower and the ka-tet. Major plot holes are filled in regard to how Susannah got pregnant, and how the low men come into play. This book just glues Wolves of the Calla and The Dark Tower VII together in a way that keeps giving the reader insight. That's my biggest pro. 
  • Personally, I thought the way King used the characters in this book was genius. Typically Jake, Roland, Susannah, Eddie, and Oy are always together. Song of Susannah takes that and shakes it around: Roland and Eddie end up on their own as do Jake and Father Callahan. Susannah becomes somewhat of a damsel in distress and struggles with her own problem: her chap and Mia. It really proves that each member of the ka-tet can hold their own without their dinh. 
  • I'm a horror kind of person, so I very much enjoyed the birth of the chap. King is usually known for his horror and plot twists, and the beginning of this book held up perfectly to that. I won't say too much about the chap, but I will say he gave me an extensive case of the creeps. 
Cons: 
  • There was one part of this book that brought about quite a few tears, and I wasn't all that happy about the timing. Father Callahan and Jake, at the end of Song of Susannah, are prepared to die to rescue Susannah. They end up on their own in New York, in search of the Dixie Pig (the place Sayre tells Mia to come to have her chap) and find it relatively well. However, King leaves you on a cliff hanger into The Dark Tower VII and when you finally reach the next book, you're in for a sad moment. The spacing out of the death of a major character always makes the reader anxious. King achieved that anxiousness in this book with perfection. 
  • Regarding the "lay out" of the book, I had my issues with the choppiness of the story. With all of the ka-tet separated from each other, some disconnect is likely and I think King handled it pretty well... with the story he wanted that is. 
  • I won't say this is entirely a negative thing, but Song of Susannah had a dark cloud hanging over it. I'm not sure if it was for effect (the group is indeed getting closer to the tower with each page) or if the events themselves were just naturally morbid, but there was an uneasy feeling throughout the book... as if something big and terrible is coming, and fast. 
Overall this was the most important book so far, but not my favorite. King really amped up his creepiness in this one and I did love that. I honestly can't wait until the Dark Tower VII review is ready! Thanks again for reading! 

With love and knowledge, 

No comments:

Post a Comment